Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Prolonged Absence

I just looked at the last post and realized that I haven't written anything for most of October.

Obviously I'm a little depressed. Not only did the Yankees collapse in the first round of the playoffs--AGAIN. But it ultimately cost Joe Torre his job. I remember the time before Joe Torre took the reins at Yankee Stadium. It can be summed up in one word: CHAOS. I'm not looking forward to next season.

Plus, the Indians, the team from my new hometown, also blew it. They couldn't get any quality innings from their top two starters and their DH turned into a human wind-making machine.

And if that wasn't bad enough, the Red Sox are going to the World Series. Again.

Oh yeah, and I turned 35 a few days ago.

Also, my last few weeks and almost my entire last weekend were consumed with preparing for a trial (in my regular life as a criminal defense attorney). Without going into too much detail, my client was facing an indictment with 40 counts of rape and 10 lesser sex offenses, which all added up to something like 850 years of prison time. The facts were against us, the evidence was against us and both my co-counsel and I felt that just about any jury would be against us.

Today the guy took a plea on the day of trial and agreed to 10 years, but it was a pretty taxing case. Emotionally draining.

And did I mention that the girl I thought I was crazy about broke up with me last month? In the car. After pretending she was tired and just "wanted to go home early." She thinks I'm "really a great guy," though, so that softens the blow.

Anyway it's been a sub-par last month or so.

I think Orson Welles said that the worst thing for an artist to be is comfortable. I'm not calling myself any kind of artist. I write fantasy books. But at the moment, I'm anything but comfortable. Now we'll have to see if I can finish this damn book.

No comments: