Thursday, November 8, 2007

1408

I rented 1408 last night. If you haven't seen it (or heard of it) it's based on a short story by Stephen King. A jaded author (John Cusack) who makes his living staying at supposedly haunted places and then writing about them, spends the night in a REALLY spooky place -- Rm. 1408 at the fictional Dolphin Hotel in NYC.

Just as an aside, that description pretty accurately sums up my ideal job. Travel all over, stay in very spooky places and get paid to write about what you see (or don't see). Kind of like Ghost Hunters, but with just a laptop.

Of course, all sorts of terrible things happen in Rm. 1408. It's not a bad film. I rented the director's cut, and having read up on the differences between it and the theatrical version, I think I might have made the wrong call. The ending of the director's cut was not to my liking, and while the theatrical version sounds a little forced, I think I'd prefer it.

Anyway, worth a rental.

Best part of the film for me: Samuel L. Jackson as the hotel manager, offering John Cusack a drink before he spends the night in the infamous room.

Jackson: "You do drink, don't you?"

Cusack: "Of course, I just said I was a writer."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i like the movie reviews! keep 'em coming

E Flo said...

Yes! That was mu fav part, too!
Although I am not a writer.