Sunday, March 2, 2008

And We're Back...

I took a little break from this blog last month. No particular reason. There just wasn't anything going on. At least not in the writing department.

Which is not to say that I haven't been occupied -- busy even.

Writing isn't really my job, it's more like a hobby that I occasionally get paid a little to do (very occasionally and very little.) Most days I wake up earlier than I'd like, after sleeping less than I'd like. I put on clothes that I'd rather not wear (after swearing when I was in high school that I would never wear a suit and tie everyday) and I drive to a place where most of the people I deal with are unhappy and/or insane.

That's not a slight against my office, although I suspect that most of the people I actually work with would probably agree that we all fit that description to varying degrees.

I'm a public defender. That means that I spend most of the day dealing with alleged criminals, bailiffs, prosecutors and judges. Last week I worked on a trial with another attorney defending a man who introduced himself to the jury as "The Prophet..." and who was so disruptive that the judge had him removed from the courtroom during part of the trial.

That was fun.

I also had the opportunity, since I live in the Tim Russert-dubbed "battleground" state of Ohio, to see Barack Obama speak at a rally here in Cleveland a week ago. Very interesting. Even if you disagree with him, you have to give the guy credit for bringing some new life to the national political stage. I've never seen people so genuinely enthusiastic about a candidate for any office, much less President. It was worth it to see him in person just to have the chance to experience that energy first hand. Plus anyone who knows me knows that I never really liked Hillary all that much anyway.

This blog is not for political posturing. It only exists because I write horror/fantasy novels, and I don't expect anyone to care one iota for my opinions on anything else (at least not on this forum.) But I will say this: love him or hate him (and I have friends on both sides of that divide) Barack Obama is a cultural phenomenon.

Moving right along, since the last post The Prometheus Gate has been reviewed by Kerry Estevez, the Acquistions Editor at Medallion Press and is working its way through the review process. I'm sure that will take a while. It's a 500-something page monster, and although I submitted a 5 page synopsis with it, the thing will take some time to digest.

Now I find myself a little bit lost. I have three things I've been working on sort of piecemeal while Prometheus was in progress. I can put that aside for a while, but I have to decide what else to concentrate on. At the moment I don't really know.

I was just in Arizona last month, so I'm leaning towards the idea I floated here a few months back about a western-horror, but that's the least developed of my current projects. The other two are a short vampire piece that I have to get out of my system and a steampunk-type novel about an alternate history version of New York City. I've been chipping away at the last one for several years here and there, and although I have about 30,000 words written, I'm stalled on it.

Sooner or later, I'll make a decision. Until then I'll just keep going into work, chatting with crack dealers, crack addicts, thieves, burglars and the occasional sex offender. Eventually I'll come up with something.

No comments: